Home Forums Deer Management & Food Plots Deer Minerals What kind of minerals is everyone using?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bruce Carroll
    Keymaster

I am interested in what kind of minerals everyone is using? Lets see everyones mineral pictures of the deer eating it!

Jeff Becka
    Participant

I have used some of the store bought brands of minerals in the past but am now using a homemade blend of minerals. I have had good results with both. But the homemade blend does save me some money.

JEFFREY SCHNEIDER
    Participant

I USE DICAL & SALT GENERAL USE FOR CATTLE BUT DEER LOVE THE STUFF

Bruce Carroll
    Keymaster

The biggest thing to keep in mind regarding minerals is that they have a low salt content.   The majority of so called name brand minerals are mostly salt and are more of a attractant then a mineral compound that will actually help your deer herds health.  Deer do need a smaller percentage of salt in take to help balance out their diet of high water content greens.

They also need adiitional vitamins and minerals like coper, Zinc, potassium, and so many more.   They have to all be in a good ration with each other to work properly.

I have my own custom formula that i have custom mixed for me at a feed mill  and selling for several years.   But i have heard goid things about the mineral from Real World Wildlife Products.

The other thing that i believe the main stream media and mineral companies mislead people is that they tell you to mix it with dirt and let them dig for it.   The high salt content minerals disolve quickly snd leech into the soil.  So as soon as it rains it disappears quickly leeching down into the soil.

A good mineral compound will clump up and not disdolve after a rain.  If a deer is digging they are not getting as much mineral as they need.

The mineral strategy that has worked best for me is placing enough minersl out to last a week or so and keep it fresh.   If i put out 10 pounds in a location and it is all gone in a week i put out 15 pounds next time.  I keep adjusting it until there is just a small amount left by the time i return.   If it is a out of state property that i cant visit often. I will put large piles out.  It is better then them not getting any mineral.

I run minersls year around but January though August is the most important months and when deer need it the most.

I am planning to write a detailed article explaning minerals and how they help and how to use them within the next werk or so.  But hope this helps.

brent lay
    Participant

bruce,

what salt content are you comfortable with,  Ive been in and out of doing my  own for over 20 yrs  , but looks like Im back at it.

most goat or cow minerals with the right amount of cal and phos and other trace minerals i find are just too low in my opinion on salt content.

I would like to see it up to 40-50%

and takes 50% or so to be legal in places.

I had used a mineral called buck busters, and had excellent results with it, but he sold out to a group and they quit producing it couple years ago.

I have used up the ton I bought , so back at it again.

btw, the article on minerals caught my attention, I guess our thoughts on minerals run parallel.

I tend to put mine on stumps or logs or even some wood feeders to hold the mineral I made, just think about it, deer eat woody fiber every day, but putting it on ground forces them to eat dirt,

Is that a good thing? Not sure about that, its over my pay grade.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  brent lay.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.